PADI Open Water
in Gran Canaria
PADI Open Water Course
For many people, the PADI Open Water Diver course is the best way to learn to scuba dive. It is possible to start the week with no experience of diving, and by the end of a week in the amazing waters here you are ready to enjoy diving in open water anywhere in the world, with your world-recognised PADI Open Water Diver certification. With your PADI qualification you can float alongside beautiful coral reefs, teeming with fish, or start to explore shipwrecks or the amazing soft corals and marine life which surround the British Isles.
There are five key recommendations for getting the most out of your PADI Open Water course:
- To help you quickly pick up the skills and help you with any skills that challenge you, work with a seasoned, experienced instructor
- Make sure you can relax both during and between sessions so that you can focus on the important details in comfort
- Make sure you are using latest technologies such as dive computers during your course
- Pick somewhere with lots to see on the dive sites as this will give you a great showcase for future dives
- You will learn faster if you are in a small group with an experienced instructor who speaks your language
Our PADI Open Water Course is not just any PADI Open Water course, as unlike other schools, all your dives take place in the beautiful waters of Gran Canaria's only marine reserve, the El Cabrón. Even your 'confined water training' takes places in a sheltered seawater pool where the fish watch as you practice basic skills. And as Gran Canaria is the most Southerly tourist destination in Europe, the sub-tropical waters around the island stay warm all year round. So you get not only a week of fun taking the course with our expert and highly rated instructors, three of whom have been awarded PADI 'Elite Instructor' Awards, but you also get four open water dives in one of Spain and Europe's best places to dive.
That's why PADI created its Five Star Dive Resort, to recognise dive centres who, like us, have mature, experienced dive educators who can make your course a lot of fun while teaching you all the vital safety elements. As you can see from the comments below, our customers think our Instructors are expert trainers, our service is top class and the diving here in the waters of the marine reserve is fantastic. So have a look at the details of the course below, then select one of the links to contact us so that we can start to arrange your PADI Open Water Diver Course and take the first step into the wonderful world of Scuba Diving.
The main advantages of doing your PADI qualification with Davy Jones Diving are:
- All the dives are in the Marine Reserve
- Full Insurance cover is INCLUDED in the course
- You get to use a dive computer as part of the full equipment
- Davy Jones Diving are one of the leading PADI Centres in the Canaries and in the team has three experienced instructors who have all gained 'PADI ELITE Instructor' awards, so you are diving with some of the top instructors in the Canary Islands.
Your PADI Course in Gran Canaria - details
Your PADI Open Water Diver Course starts with five
lessons in the pool. You then do four lessons in the sea in
the Arinaga marine reserve, some reading, video sessions,
knowledge reviews and tests/quizzes. You start in safe, confined waters
and learn essential basic skills including breathing
underwater, clearing your regulator and mask, buoyancy
control, fining techniques and techniques for safe diving.
You then build on these basic skills and practice them both
in the confined waters, and then in open water (in the Marine Reserve),
all the time under the supervision of one of our qualified
and experienced PADI Instructors. All the teaching and
support materials are used to ensure that you understand the
simple physics behind diving and to give you the confidence
and enthusiasm to continue diving after your course, and open
up for the many beautiful divings spots around the world. In
addition to the prescribed skills we aim to develop your
confidence in the water, so that you leave us as a safe,
competent and qualified PADI Open Water Diver.
You can read more about the content and options for your PADI Open Water Course at the PADI website.
Your pool for confined water training!
Learn to dive with Dive Computers!
How many people are on each course?
How long will it take?
We teach in small groups, and you can come on your own; with a partner or friend; or as a group, and the parts of the course will be timetabled to suit any other holiday or partner commitments.
With sub-tropical waters around Gran Canaria, we run the PADI Open Water Diver course all year round, and the temperatures in open water rarely drop below 17C. The Canary Islands have always had an excellent reputation as a 'winter sun' holiday destination. We also have our 'Go-Warm' clothing for winter of extra thermal shirts, gloves and hoods for all.
Full Insurance Cover for all Students
PADI Junior Open Water Diver Course
Deutsch - Instruction, Books and papers, Video
Español -Instruction, Books and papers, Video
Nederlands - Instruction, Books and papers, Video
Italiano -Instruction, Books and papers, Video
Exams and tests also available in French, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian *
Verbal instruction is available in English, German, Dutch, Italian or Spanish
What you get
We try to make your course a lot of fun.. within a serious framework of diving safely. We want you to enjoy your experience so we help you relax in our garden as we prepare for each dive, and our experienced instructors are used to finding strange and wonderful things to show you as you progress with their help through the course.
Your PADI Qualification Card is sent to you at the end of the course, which qualifies you to dive to 18m (12m for Juniors) in open water. You can then go and DIVE THE WORLD!
Other students said ..
2016-06-02 LachlanWK Published by Tripadvisor.co.uk See full review
2016-03-15 desmond88yong Published by Tripadvisor.co.uk See full review
Morten Haagh-Jensen - From: Frederiksberg, Denmark
Arif Shukralla - From: Dublin Ireland
See more Guestbook entries.
Keeping you safe
What Next ?
Do a few more dives to build you skill and confidence and then consider taking the PADI Advanced Open Water course and broaden your knowledge, increase your confidence, and take part in some really good adventure dives. Or you could go to a 'specialist' area such as Digital Underwater Photography, or try diving with Nitrox. The main thing however is to have fun, enjoy yourself and learn more about the waters that cover two thirds of earths surface. Here are some of the things you can see if you dive around the world:
How much will it cost?
- The price of obtaining your PADI Open Water Qualification in the marine reserve at El Cabrón is €420.00 per person for web bookings at least 7 days in advance, which includes your on-line registration with PADI, your PADI Divers Card, mandatory Spanish insurance, use of dive computers, compass and other equipment, and all the services listed below. A single person supplement of €50 may be charged if you want to do your course on your own with a private instructor. Prices also include Canary Sales Tax (IGIC).
- Spanish law requires you to have a medical examination. This can be done before you get here, or in Gran Canaria where the cost is about €30-€40 per person.
- If for any reason you do not complete the course a pro-rata price will be charged.
What is included
- If possible you complete your reading of the PADI Open Water manual and watch the PADI video/DVD before you come to Gran Canaria.
- All students on all courses should have a log-book in which to record their dives. We have several different log books from €8 to €25.
- That by the end of the course you should have tried and found a comfortable mask and snorkel.
Referrals from other PADI Instructors or centres.
Reserve your place in Gran Canaria on a great PADI Open Water Diver course !
Summary of your PADI Open Water Diver Course
The four-day PADI Open Water Diver Course is the most popular recreational diving course in the world. By taking it in the El Cabrón marine Reserve with PADI 5-Star Diving Centre Davy Jones Diving you see the authentic Canarian Marine life at one of the island's top diving sites, with one of the leading dive centres in the Canary Islands.
Some suggested dates for
|Course name / Week||Week commencing (Mon)||Week ending (Sat)||Link for details|
|PADI Open Water Course- Wk 5||27-1-2020||1-2-2020||- Check availability now!|
|PADI Open Water Course- Wk 6||3-2-2020||8-2-2020||- Places Available|
|PADI Open Water Course- Wk 7||10-2-2020||15-2-2020||- Places Available|
|PADI Open Water Course - later dates||From 2020-02-17||- Click to check|